- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 can (7½ ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained and sliced
- 2 envelopes (1½ ounces each) Italian-style spaghetti sauce mix with mushrooms
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 16 ounces Italian-syle spaghetti
- Cook and stir ground beef, onion and green pepper until meat is brown and onion is tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except spaghetti and cheese.
- Cover; simmer 1½ hours, stirring sauce occasionally.
- Cook spaghetti.
- Serve meat sauce over hot spaghetti.
- Spaghetti with Meatballs: Omit ground beef; stirring occasionally, cook remaining ingredients except spaghetti and Parmesan cheese for 1 hour. While sauce cooks, prepare Meatballs; add to sauce and cook 30 minutes longer.