Old-Fashioned Vegetable Soup
- 3 pounds beef shanks, cracked
- 1 quart water
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 can (1 pound) tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon marjoram leaves
- ¼ teaspoon thyme leaves
- Cover shanks with water; heat to boiling.
- Add bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1¾ hours or until meat on shanks is fork tender.
- Remove shanks from stock; cut meat from shanks into ½-inch cubes.
- Let stock cool slightly.
- Skim far from surface.
- Strain stock into large saucepan.
- Add meat cubes and remaining ingredients.
- Heat to boiling.
- Cover; simmer 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.