- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1 egg
- Heat oven to 425°.
- Grease square pan, 8x8x2 or 9x9x2 inches.
- Blend all ingredients about 20 seconds.
- Beat vigorously 1 minute.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
*If using self-rising flour, decrease baking powder to 2 teaspoons and omit salt.
- Corn Muffins: Fill 12 greased medium muffin cups (2¾ inches in diameter) ⅔ full. Bake 15 minutes.
- Double Corn Bread: Prepare the 9x9x2-inch pan; use 2 eggs and stir 1 can (7 or 8 ounces) whole kernel corn, well drained, into batter.