- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 7 ounces whole kernel corn, drained (1 cup)
- ¼ cup shortening, melted, or salad oil
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Grease square pan, 8x8x2 or 9x9x2 inches.
- Measure all ingredients in order listed into bowl; stir just until flour is moistened. Batter should be lumpy.
- Spread evenly in pan.
- Bake 8-inch pan 45 minutes, 9-inch pan 35 minutes or until golden brown.
*If using self-rising flour, omit baking powder and salt.